Thursday, April 11, 2013

Granter of Wishes

It takes some time for Dandelions to turn into Wishing Flowers. I know. Because I checked everyday.

When they hadn't changed, I wasn't sad. Seeing the yellow dotting the field made me just as happy. You might be surprised to know that I didn't pick them. I let them live.

My extreme patience surprised even me. It was, of course, further proof to my mother and everyone else that I could control my impulses. Therefore, talking during instruction and standing still in line were possible for me.

Geez...I was dumb to show adults that side of myself. But...the flowers lived longer, swaying in the breeze, and pushing their happiness up through the ground.

Then the day came when there were Wishing Flowers as far as the eye could see. As Maria tells it, I declared, "These flowers go all the way to Hazard County!" (Not Harris. Hazard. Fans of the General should know to which county I refer.)

I run into the lot, ready to make as many wishes as possible. I do pick a couple. I close my eyes and make my wish, raising my head to the Heavens. After I used the most beautiful words, I open my eyes and blow at the white, fluffy seeds. Watching the wind catch them, I smile in glee to see my wish carried away. Hopefully to the place where wishes are granted.

Eventually, though, I get a better idea. I certainly can't pick every flower. There are hundreds of flowers waiting to be wished on.

Instead, I close my eyes and make all my wishes at once. Then, with lightning speed, I dash through the flowers, my legs and arms kicking up the soft seeds, sending them flying and spinning into the air. Thousands of wishes swirl around me as I run through the lot.

I stop and look around, my smile splitting my face. I lift my arms and glory in the sight of those white, fluffy seeds flying. All my wishes, shooting through the Heavens....

And the best part was I knew those seeds would hit the ground and grow new flowers. I was sending Wishing Flowers to others. It was a good feeling.

No comments: