Friday, January 18, 2013

Chosen Profession

It's career day at school.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" the teacher asks.

All the children's hands shoot up but mine. I listen to them shout out different answers. "I want to be a nurse!", "I want to be the president!", "I want to be a teacher!"

A teacher?!?!? You've got to be kidding. Whoever that was was obviously insane.

I didn't have an answer. Well...that wasn't true. I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up. It wouldn't be easy, but I was prepared for the mountains I had to climb.

Let's all remember what my favorite shirt promised, "Anything boys can do, girls can do better."

I believed that with every ounce of my heart and fiber of my being.

My classmates didn't know it, but they were looking at the future second baseman of the Houston Astros.

Yep, that's what I was gonna do. Playing baseball all day? Yep. Absolutely. Sign me up. I had it in the bag. Luke and Han were teaching me how to play, and I was good. Really good.

So...not a problem.

No comments: